Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Burning

Comparing/Contrasting the acts of Thich Quang Duc (“Burning Monk”) and Bohamed Bouazizi who set themselves on fire as protest:

My Thoughts:
There is MUCH conflict with the people and the government in both of these situations. I feel as though the act of self-immolation is a modern form of nationalism. I personally believe that both Thich Quang Duc and Bohamed Bouazizi did what they did because they wanted to make an impact and they desperately wanted change in their country. This is similar to nationalism because Thich and Bohamed sacrificed themselves for the sake of their country, which is what a soldier on a battlefield does.

A poem that conveys my thoughts:
Fire and Ice
Some say the world will end in fire,
 Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
 But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
 To say that for destruction ice
Is also great,
 And would suffice.
By: Robert Frost
Discussion Questions:
Do you think Thich and Bohamed self-immolated out of nationalism?
Are these acts respected? Why or why not?


~Elizabeth :)

No comments:

Post a Comment